Band Night Coming Soon
Melting Pot are finalising details for a regular band night unlike any in Melbourne at the moment – or ever seen before. Continuing the trend set with Songwriters in the Round and Open Mic Mondays, Melting Pot’s band night promises to be something a bit different, a bit unique: a night built around the artist – a stage to showcase the masses of talent Melbourne has to offer music fans.
While we’re currently negotiating with some venues, we’re also engaging in a consultation process with you – the artists and the music fans. We’ve got some of our ideas we’re looking at below. We’d love to get your feedback on what you see as important and are very keen to hear any ideas you may have yourself. Our aim is to run the best weekly band night in Melbourne… but obviously we have to make sure it’s sustainable as well.
So here are some of the ideas that we are currently looking at:
- Providing the backline (ie, bass amp and drums) to reduce the organisational load on bands and let them focus on what matters – the music.
- In conjunction with the venue, arranging to supply AND cover cost of the sound engineer.
- Providing a minimum guaranteed payment for the headline act.
- Using our network and resources to assist the bands promoting the night and themselves through street press, community radio, our mailing list, social media and our website.
- Having a comedian host the night – keeping the crowd entertained between sets and to introduce the next act.
- Arranging for a photographer to take high quality photos of the bands playing and the night.
- High quality filming and multi-track live recordings, with the video / recording of one song per night going up online for free. The rest of the footage and recordings will be available for a fee (we’ve got to pay these people somehow!) but at a much cheaper rate than if a band hired someone themselves.
- Over time we’d like to be able to arrange radio interviews and reviews / interviews through our website.
But what about you? If you’re in a band (or know someone who is) what do you want? What do you need?
This is an ambitious plan for Melting Pot and there is still a lot to get sorted but we’re confident – if the bands and music fans work with us to really push the night from their end, then it will have more to offer than just about any other local gig you’ll ever do or see. More details to come, so keep checking the site for information.
The views expressed in this article are the views of the author and not necessarily the views of Melting Pot.